Good tourney overall I though but should change a couple of things. Best out of three games is fine for seeding but elimination should have been best of five. You lose that first game and your back is against the wall.
Court size needs to be bigger for next time. The smaller courts favor the hardest throwers and the teams who hoard all the balls and then throw together. Our team focuses on catches, but with the small space, most catches are based on luck, especially when teams are grippy throwing.
Post by player from tounment on Feb 27, 2006 15:42:46 GMT -5
i liked the tounment, best of five on the second day would be great. i think there is plenty of time to play everyone in the pool, it goes real fast espically the first day.
two two things that sucked bad, were the first day the second group had no food, or pop. i didnt see pizza at all during the touny, and the second thing, was every court was playing by different rules, court 1 was the only court looking at back lines, and court 4 you could catch the ball, get two feet in, then go around the back and come back in, and thats not in the rules. i know its a big touny, so most things were run great, thoes are my two complaints though
Post by Professional Player on Feb 27, 2006 18:44:40 GMT -5
Man the Tournament was ok...However the next time you want to put some big money on the line..you need to have some official dodgeball referees....Cour 1 had a female watching the backline that had no clue what to look for and made several ridiculously bad calls....while court 2 had an overly agressive referree that made people pick up balls when they were clearly trying to catch the ball from an opposing team. Also you shouldnt have referees that play in the tournament, creating a real conflict of interest. Overall I think you need to thoroughly prepare next time as you can see when money is on the line games are taken seriously. I have played in tournaments for Chicken Nuggets that was officiated more professionally than this!
Post by VA Dodgeball Webmaster on Feb 27, 2006 22:26:03 GMT -5
One thing in regards to the fod. Some teams once they played their first match, went out and ate. Some teams just stayed on their courts to wait for their next match. SOme teams that lost, just stayed and ate.
We ordered more food due to the amount of people.
We also gave away free sport drinks, breakfast bars, bottled water, complete breatfast (bagels, fruit,etc.) - Not advertised for the tournamnet. Their was free foo (tons of it) and free beer (tonso fo it).
I am sorry you did not get your fill. BUt we had a ton of food and even ordered more to beter serve the event.
Overall, great tournament Greg. I agree it should be best 3 of 5 games in the bracket games. Also the refs should be more up to date things as well. Dodgeball is such a hectic sport once the games get going it is hard to see everything and catch every little step out and if balls barely knick peoples arms or legs so it is hard for refs to keep up. But overall on refs, excellent job. But ran smoothly and the truly best team did win the tournament. Let me know when the next one is!
that's dodgeball buddy. Practice and you'll get better. Don't hate that you're not good. Embrace it and use it as motivation to get better. The grippy throw thing, isn't that hard to do. so be a G and figure it out and give the L.A. teams a run for their money the next tournament. I know I will. They won't smoke the competition again. We'll be ready. Out Laws for life.
I felt the tournament went very well. A few points that I felt would make it better and some general comments mixed in too.
1. best three of five for the bracket. 2 of 3 is fine for seeding.
2. Equal calling of games across all courts. From what I experienced court 1 was the only one calling back line (barring blatantly obvious infractions). Also, sometimes the refs wouldn't force the players that were out to go back behind the white line. The bobbling of your ball rule was improperly called several times on players that pinched the ball. Its impossible to bobble a ball when you have it wrapped around your hand. Little things that could change games.
3. Too many refs on one court for semi-finals and finals. Should have just picked best four refs to call those games. There were too many conflicting calls.
4. Ban those Hollywood kids.
5. I'm kidding about #4. They were great to watch. Domination is the only word i can think of.
6. Bonus beer tickets for winning matches. Ohhh yea.
7. I enjoyed the food there, but I never saw anyone enforce the bracelets. I wonder if too much of the food went to spectators and not the players that paid for it.
8. Massage Therapists at a dodgeball tournament? Brilliant!
9. Hearing Greg shout "has anyone seen my balls your chin?" was classic.
10. That big ref screaming at the player who wouldn't go out and ripping the ball out of his hand? Yea, he better be ref'n next year.
11. Ah yes. I will say that as the tournament progressed, the referees were very communicative of the updated rules.
12. A vast majority of the teams were very friendly and good sportmanship from most of the teams. Was nice to see.
13. I fear the next tournament now that the pinch shot was let out of the bag. No longer a trade secret ;-)
Post by Team Medics on Mar 2, 2006 11:44:17 GMT -5
watching charles bronson and odd days play was absolutely the most awesome thing i have ever witnessed. those guys are true dodgeballers, and it was great to see men like the breadtruck, the animal, and the 'cannon' play. my only complaint is that there were different rules being enforced on different courts. we had to adapt to new rules for every new court we played in. i never got to try the food, but thats only because my mind was focused on playing the game, but im sure the food was excellent. thanks Greg for an excellent tournament. it was good to finally be part of a tournament that didn't use those girly NADA foam balls. let us know when the next tourney is!
Post by Bronsonomics 101 on Mar 2, 2006 12:15:39 GMT -5
great tourney, literally the best i've played in (and i've played in dozens) in terms of organization and punctuality of the matches. i also experienced fairly good officiating (but only played once on court 1, which seems to be unpopular).
1. the courts were too small. using the NADA standard is contributing to the problem. saying that NADA is an authority on dodgeball is like saying Asians are the definitive authority on blowjobs....yeah, they do it but they pretty much get everything wrong. there's a ton of other court sizes out there that don't give such a heavy advantage to thowers.
2. there needs to be some sort of deflective surface that can rebound thrown balls back to thier teams. i know logistically that's a problem at the place we were at, but something needs to be done. if you never get a ball back when you throw it then it's too much of an advantage to hold balls until the other team throws them. it slows down the game.